Forget about freezing in the cold!
We're talking about the island of Lošinj, which has one of the mildest climates in Croatia with over 2,500 sunshine hours every year. The temperature on the island very rarely drops below 0 °C. Not only that, but Lošinj's climate is acknowledged to be beneficial for people suffering from respiratory illnesses, so combine your winter camping break with some personal therapy!
Forget about spending winter in a tent!
Camp Čikat's range of mobile homes are ideal for enjoying a winter camping holiday. Situated in beautifully landscaped surroundings overlooking the Adriatic, the camp's mobile homes come equipped with bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, bathroom, covered outside terrace and a private car-parking space. All the comforts of your own home including heating and air-conditioning can be yours at Camp Čikat, and it doesn't matter what the weather is like outside.
Alternatively, bring your own caravan or camper van. If you have your own caravan, then our range of plots and camp pitches are ideal for you to rent.
If you get bored of cooking for yourself then there are many excellent restaurants nearby in Mali Lošinj town centre. Favourites of the camp's staff include:
- Kredo restaurant located in Camp Čikat is open all year round
- Deveron, located in the city centre this restaurant offers a range of grills, pasta, and traditional cuisine from Lošinj
- pizzeria Galeb and pizzeria Koralj also located in the city centre – 20 minutes away by foot
- the Veli Žal restaurant (contemporary cuisine, grills, pasta, fresh seafood) situated in Sunčana uvala around 5 minutes away by car or a 2 kilometre leisurely stroll by the sea from Camp Čikat
Here you can read our winter tourism programme
Pamper yourself with some wellness treatment
The nearby 4 star Hotel Aurora in Sunčana uvala is owned by Jadranka d.o.o., the owners of Camp Čikat. So, 5 minutes away by car and guests of the camp can enjoy all of the hotel's wellness facilities for which special reduced prices apply if you're staying at Camp Čikat. Facilities available include a luxurious sauna, steam bath and massage therapy from an attentive team of professional therapists and beauticians.
Enjoy the winter season's events
There's plenty to keep you occupied during the winter months, particularly as Christmas approaches and the new year gets underway. Some events to look out for include:
- St. Martin's Day, 11 November: Mali Lošinj town's patron saint is St. Martin, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Tours during the 4th century. A cove on the Eastern part of the island of LoŠinj with the same name is where the first settlers arrived in the 12th century. In memory of this event St. Martin's day is celebrated on Lošinj with a day packed full of sports and entertainment events including a sailing regatta and a wind orchestra concert.
- Christmas Festivities, 16 December to 1 January: Its Christmas! And unsurprisingly there are many fun events to enjoy in the days leading up to Christmas, as well as immediately after. Many of these are held in Mali Losinj's main square and include photography exhibitions, fun events for children, evening concerts featuring many local bands, cooking demonstrations featuring traditional meals like 'gulaš' from Slovenia and 'fiš paprikaš', a peppery fish stew.
- Cup of Nations Spear Fishing Competition, End of December: You may not realise this, but some of the best spear fishing is to be had in Croatia. As a result some of the best enthusiasts of this extreme sport come from Croatia and compete aggressively in many international competitions. The spear fishing Cup of Nations event is a long-standing event (first event was held in 1965) on the island, attracting competitors from around the world.
- Carnival Time, End of January to Mid February: Two to three weeks of carnival madness is traditionally staged during this time. Parades, festivals, music, competitions, feasting ... you name it, and you can find it on LoŠinj during the winter!
Special mention must be made of two events that are usually held during carnival time:
- The first is the 'Mare Monada' event. This is a CRAZY fun event, a boating competition for which the qualifications are simple, wear a mask and make a boat from anything but boat parts! Watch some of the craziness below:
- The second is 'Balinjerada'. Also a race, but the winner is the one with the best and funniest home-made vehicle - not the fastest! Oh, and none of the vehicles are allowed to have wheels ... you have to watch the video!
Winter breaks are ideal for meandering around indoor attractions like museums and art galleries, of which there are several to explore around Camp Čikat. Some of these include:
- The Fritzy Palace, Mali Lošinj. Originally Mali Lošinj's first city administration building, the Fritzy Palace is now home to Lošinj's own museum. Restored in the 19th century the building itself is worth exploring for its rich architectural design. The Museum houses several collections of paintings by Croatian master painters which are definitely worth a look. Click the link for more information about the Fritzy Palace
- The Kula Tower and Museum, Veli Lošinj. A well known landmark in Veli Lošinj, the Kula tower dates back to the 15th century and was totally renovated in the late 1990's. Located on the first three floors of the tower is a permanent exhibition focusing on Lošinj's seafaring history and traditions. Find out more about the Kula Tower
- The Archaeological Collection, Osor. Opened in 1889 and housed in a former city hall dating back to the 15th century, the Archaeological Collection in Osor features displays depicting life in the town from its origins through to medieval times. Read more about the Archaeological Collection
- The Apoxyomenos Museum, Mali Lošinj. Visit this museum located in the city centre dedicated to the 2,000 year-old statue of the ancient Greek athlete, Apoxyomenos. Find out more about Apoxyomenos
What are you waiting for? Book your winter holiday now!